Divorce Can Change Your Life
Divorce can have a significant impact on many areas of your life including, your finances, family relationships, emotional health and living arrangements. Some of these changes may be positive and others can be difficult. That’s why it is important to seek legal representation from a skilled and experienced legal team who will pursue the best possible situation for you.
Anthony J. LoPresti is a family and divorce attorney who provides high quality legal counsel to people going through divorce in the New York City and throughout Long Island. Contact our skilled legal team at (516) 739-2020 or e-mail us to schedule a free consultation.
Grounds for Divorce in New York
In the state of New York, you must have legal grounds for divorce. For spouses who have irreconcilable differences and no longer wish to be married, a common way to pursue divorce is to first separate for one year, which provides grounds. The remaining grounds are fault-based, meaning that one spouse has acted in a way that justifies divorce. These include:
- Cruel and inhuman treatment — verbal, physical or emotional abuse has occurred, making it unsafe for one spouse to live with the other.
- Constructive abandonment — physical abandonment, including sexual abandonment for one year or more.
- Three consecutive years imprisonment — one spouse has been in jail for three or more years in a row, beginning after the marriage.
- Adultery — one spouse has cheated on the other. This must be proven using evidence and a third party.
- Separation — living separate and apart pursuant to an agreement for one or more years.
- No-fault divorce – DRL (Domestic Relations Law 170 (7), Irretrievable Breakdown of the relationship for at least six months.
We can help you explore your options for divorce and determine if you have adequate grounds.
The Divorce Process & Legal Issues
Our skilled legal financial team will provide you with a fair and impartial review of your assets. If you have children, we will work to create custody and child support plans that are in their best interests.
Contact Anthony J. LoPresti, Attorney at Law, to speak to a lawyer who is dedicated to improving the lives of families. Call our law office in Garden City at (516) 739-2020 or e-mail us.